A+ Herb Pot


Is there any smell better than fresh herbs? Maybe fresh flowers, but really not much else. It is easy to pass on culinary herbs, but why? They are so tasty and so good for you. Did you know that Basil aids in digestion, and helps alleviate headaches? Or that Dill is shown to have an anticancer affect? Herbs not only taste wonderful, but they actually improve our health and vitality. I live in a tiny little apartment with no yard, porch or windowsills to grow my own herb garden. For now, I have to buy my herbs from a grocery store and hope I use them before they go south. My tricks to use up one's extra herbs is to chop them up and mix them in with your butter or olive oil, sprinkle them on a salad, turn them into a pesto and freeze, or make a stock. When I am cutting my veggies for whatever I am about to cook, I always save the parts I cut off and freeze them in a zip-lock bag. With the frozen veggies and my left over herbs, I make my vegetable stock. This way I have less waste, and a tasty liquid alternative to use while cooking. Use homemade vegetable stock as a substitute for water when you make rice next and your taste buds will thank you!

Above is an herb pot from DWR.com that will help herbs stay fresher longer as well. ($30.00)

Comments

Popular Posts