Carrot Cookin



A College friend of mine gave me a cookbook for my birthday that was from her home town of Seattle. The Pacific Northwest is known for supple land and fresh, simple and amazing food. This particular cookbook focuses on three main ideas, eating fresh, eating local, and eating in season. Fabulous. Unfortunately, for us living in the Midwest, eating what is local, fresh, or what is in season may not be an option. I have joined different co-op programs and signed on with grocery deliveries from local farmers, but a problem has always risen; finding myself back at the local grocery store, searching for the "organic" options. Farmers markets are wonderful in Summer and Fall, but Winter and most of Spring always get the shaft. Further, it is true that I could actually buy everything I eat from local farmers and producers, but the fact of the matter is I do not have enough hours in the day to take this project on whole heartedly and I would not really be eating a balanced diet....

That being said, I do buy as much as I possibly can from local farmers, bakers, and artisans. I believe in the power of quality food, because I have seen this power come alive in my body, energizing my body and igniting my soul.

So my gift to everybody on this winter day, is the best darn carrot recipe I have ever found. Every time I make these carrots, they seem to disappear like a plate of chocolate chip cookies. This is such a simple recipe, where the real flavors from the food are on display for all to enjoy. They taste as though they are honored to be together in the same dish. Let me know what you think...

Pan-Roasted Orange-Paprika Carrots


1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch-think slices
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 teaspoon turbinado sugar or light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Heat skillet on medium/high heat and let the butter melt. Cook untill the butter browns (about 3 minutes). Next add the carrots and stir. Season with salt and peper, and let brown for 2 minutes without stirring. Now stir and let the carrots cook for about 2 more minutes, or untill they just start to soften.
Add orange juice, sugar, paprika, and stir. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have a brown glaze and are easily pierced with a fork. Turn off the heat, cover and set aside until ready to serve. Serve them warm!

- This portion ment for a side-dish for 4
- The carrots keep for 2 to 3 days in refrigerator, so this dish can be made ahead if needed
- From the cookbook, "Pure Flavor" by, Kurt Beecher Dammeier & Laura Holmes Haddad

Comments

  1. i just successfully made this carrot dish...delicious! can't wait to make it for my mom! thanks for sharing jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts