Easy Pickles


When we were in college, my best friend, Annie and I, spent one summer on my back patio... seriously, we practically lived on it... spending our nights drinking wine, cooking out, and laughing a lot. That summer was one of the best summers of my life, and there are some things that will always bring me right back to those sunny days and warm nights...like the taste of pickles!
Annie loved pickles so much, that she used to hide the pickle jar inside when she knew our other friends were coming over. This still makes me laugh out loud when I think about it! I have never met a person who loves pickles as much as her... I mean, they were even her party favors at her wedding (home-made pickles in mini mason jars!)... now that is true love!

When I saw this easy recipe, it brought me back to those wonderful summer days. You better believe I will be making them... if only to remind me of  happiness and warmth during these cold winter months!

Here is the www.health.com instructions:

Ingredients

  • 6 cupsthinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
  • 2 cupsthinly sliced onion
  • 1 1/2 cupswhite vinegar
  • 3/4 cupsugar
  • 3/4 teaspoonsalt
  • 1/2 teaspoonmustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspooncelery seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoonground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspooncrushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
  • garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preparation

Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.
Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.
Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Comments

  1. Yummy! Totally going try this when the farmer's markets get up and running again in the spring/summer =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Those big cucumbers from the farmers markets would be perfect! Lets go together when it's warm! xo Jmoksha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts