Zen in the Art of Writing


 Zen in the Art of Writing, by Ray Bradbury, is the first present my wonderful boyfriend gave to me. Why was this his first gift you ask? Well, before we went on that nervously exciting first date, he (preparing himself) had checked out my blog and knew I loved to write. Bradbury's book was his favorite creative writing book (and I am sure the only one he had ever really read). Funny how we build connections by sharing what we know... touching on what is important, and highlighting it's relevancy. This thoughtful gift is now one of my favorite tools for helping me out of writers block and creative slumps. It's a quick read, leaving one with much to think about at the end (even though it does look a bit dated). As the message inside remains perfectly relevant,  if you are wanting to write yourself, I highly suggest you check it out.

 Here is a fun little blurb on Bradbury's idea of writing naturally:

"What can we writers learn from lizards, lift from birds? In quickness is truth. The faster you blurt, the more swiftly you write, the more honest you are. In hesitation is thought. In delay comes the effort for a style, instead of leaping upon truth which is the only style worth deadfalling or tiger-trapping."

Summing up...don't think, just write...and enjoy the process as it unfolds... 

Comments

Popular Posts