Moscow Mules


Life changes tend to rustle every part of me. When there are transitions to be made, my energy levels are through the roof, and there is not much that can calm me down. One thing I do rely on during these periods in my life is major friend time; this weekend I did just that and finally felt my nerves start to ease.
      As the rain poured down around us, my roommate and I headed out of our comfy apartment, and hailed a cab to meet a friend on the other side of town. As we made our way to the first warm bar, my roommate decided to order a moscow mule.... What a fabulous drink! I was in love on the first sip, and cannot wait to make a batch at home for friends. With my usual urge to research everything that goes into my body, I immediately surfed the web for information and ingredients. I have learned that a moscow mule was created in Manhattan during the 1950's vodka craze. The name originated from two very simple ideas. First, Russians where known to love and drink a lot of vodka. Second, the word mule was a term used to describe a mixed drink. Three friends (John Martin, Rudolph Kunett and Jack Morgan) came together with their products (ginger beer and vodka) and decided to mix them together one night.Viola! a wonderful drink was born. After many more mules were consumed, the name moscow mule was created.
The best part about the tasty drink? It is simple to make!

Moscow Mule

  • One part vodka
  • 2 to 3 parts ginger beer
  • Fresh mint
  • One part lime juice
  • Simple syrup (for me this is optional) 
If you have a copper mug, place ice inside and pour all ingredients over. If you do not have a copper mug, use any glass that makes you happy. Place the fresh sprig of mint on top, and enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts