As the seasons change, we are reminded to respect the Earth's power, and appreciate the time we have in the present; they are a constant reminder that all life is fleeting, and no matter how hard you may be holding onto something, at some point you will have to let go and evolve along with the World.
Yes, Summer has warmed away, but Fall came blowing in with some wonderful gifts. One of my personal favorites is pumpkins, and all Fall I will be searching for the best pumpkin recipes I can find. Get ready for a great food adventure, pumpkin style!
Paula Deen's Pumpkin Orzo
- 1 1/4 cup of chicken broth (I will substitute this with veggie broth, but you may have to add a little salt in later if you are a vegetarian like me!)
- 3/4 cup of canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (remember to cut skin off first)
- 1/2 of teaspoon of each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo
In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth, pumpkin, butter, honey, balsamic vinegar, ginger, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-heat, then add the orzo. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until the orzo is tender, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
* I have not made this, but will be making it over the weekend for myself and John. Knowing me, I will want to play with some spices because pumpkin pairs so well with other flavors! if you have any ideas of what to add, let me know and I will be your guinea pig.
Thank you Paula Deen, I love you and knew you had a healthy recipe in you!