Figuring Out Life


As I was walking around town with a friend last week, I expressed concern that I was losing control, and that I used to have everything figured out... and now I don't. She immediately replied with "No Jules you never had anything figured out. You see, we both used to think we had it figured out... but (if you can believe it) we had even less of a clue at that time than what we do now."

I like this thought she had, and it made me laugh thinking about how organized, categorized and specified I thought life would become. Where would the light of the unknown be if we already knew what the future held for us? 

Comments

  1. I find that every so often I look back to the me of say, 4-5 years prior, and can't help saying something along the lines of, "Man...what a complete idiot I used to be!" I find that in most situations we don't even know what we don't know because we're constantly presented with new information and new situations. Without experience, how do you know how to react or behave in a given set of circumstances? Take into account we tend to learn only through failure and it literally means we must pass through the fire time and time again (typically looking like a jerk through the process) before we start to get a handle on things.

    I've really only felt for the past 16 months or so that I finally start to see a little sliver of the bigger picture and how things really work; relationships, business, life.... I'm sure I'll look back 5 years from now and be shocked at what a moron I was now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are your twenties, enjoy it. trust me the figuring out never stops. As we get older,however, we try to please less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! Love when we can make out that big picture... and Lord how our 20's can be a roller coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now that I have been alive for a half century plus four years, the only thing I have figured out is that hindsight is 20/20 ;)!

    I have however, made a delightful discovery today: you are a wonderful writer! Your blog is insightful, wise, funny and very, very touching!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts