Miso Soup


Miso soup is my absolute favorite kind of soup! The energy my body is filled with after consuming a delicious bowl is astounding!
Now, I am always in the mood for ingredient experimentation and I've decided to bring on a twist to the basic recipe I have used for years. Hopefully,  my creation will bring about a new, tasty version, ready for tonight's dinner celebration! Just incase you are feeling as ambitious as I am, I will share the recipe below, and would love to hear your thoughts!

Ginger-Leek Miso Soup (Adapted from: If The Buddha Came To Dinner, Schatz and Shaiman)

- 4 small leeks
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions - sliced thinly and cut into half-moon strips
- 2 carrots, matchstick sliced
- 6 cups of water
- 4 shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown rice miso paste

*Garnish: Crumbled wakame (sea vegetable), arugula or coarsely chopped watercress

  • Trim roots off leeks. Slice off and discard the tough green leaves from the tops of the leeks. Wash the remaining white and light green portions thoroughly in cold water. Make sure to rise in between the layers to remove any sand! Shake dry and slice thinly.
  • Heat oil in a large pot and saute the leeks, onions, and carrots until the vegetables are soft. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. Add the shiitakes, tofu cubes, grated ginger, and salt. Add more water for a thinner consistency. Reduce your heat to simmer and cover for 25 minutes.
  • In a bowl, dissolve the miso in a 1/2 cup of the hot broth and add to the pot just before serving. Garnish each bowl with wakame and watercress or arugula
  • ENJOY

P.S. I say dinner celebration, because every time we sit down and nourish our bodies, I believe it is a true celebration!

Comments

Popular Posts