"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"-19th century proverb

It was the middle of the day, and my eyelids seemed to be a bit heavier than they were in the morning. Sitting at my desk, I could feel my body start to yearn for my comfy chair and a blanket...my mind wandering towards what words might be on the next page in my book...

As my work piles up around me, I could hear my brain say, "Ok, Jules it's time to focus"... but how? Should I have another cup of coffee? Another chai latte? No, jittering caffeine just will not do. But wait! I forgot about that beautiful pink lady sitting in my bag! I grab my apple (washing it off before I eat it of course)  and take a big, juicy bite...yum! 

Apples are one of my all time favorite pick-me-ups. They are crunchy, juicy, sweet, easy to travel with, and are just about the perfect size snack to help make it to your next meal. I buy them in bulk, and always have them on hand... you never know when that energy drop will come, but you do know how much better you will feel after you munch on a yummy apple. 

...It's the little things in life that make it so wonderful...

Apples, with skin (edible parts)
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy218 kJ (52 kcal)
Carbohydrates13.81 g
Sugars10.39 g
Dietary fiber2.4 g
Fat0.17 g
Protein0.26 g
Water85.56 g
Vitamin A equiv.3 μg (0%)
Thiamine (Vit. B1)0.017 mg (1%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2)0.026 mg (2%)
Niacin (Vit. B3)0.091 mg (1%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.061 mg (1%)
Vitamin B60.041 mg (3%)
Folate (Vit. B9)3 μg (1%)
Vitamin C4.6 mg (8%)
Calcium6 mg (1%)
Iron0.12 mg (1%)
Magnesium5 mg (1%)
Phosphorus11 mg (2%)
Potassium107 mg (2%)
Zinc0.04 mg (0%)
Percentages are relative to US recommendationsfor adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database

Comments

Popular Posts